Warning: Graphic images are used in this article for instructional clarity; not appropriate in all situations or underage persons.
While many of you may be skeptical of this home remedy, I know for a FACT this works. I have had 2 women come to me begging for help when they were suffering with an outbreak. I as much as I try to help people, I wasn't sure I would be able to do what they needed to minimize their symptoms until they could get to a doctor.
However, once I reached out to some of my medical contacts, scientists and researchers who have actually studied holistic treatments for genital herpes, I learned curing an outbreak can be easier than what anyone would ever believe. Because doctors claim there is no cure, this problem seems like a life sentence. Those who are infected may feel unclean, tainted, and have lowered self- esteem. But now there's help that anyone can get without a prescription.
The most important thing to remember is that with natural medicine there is a lot of hope. Genital herpes is reversible and many people who once suffered tremendously from the continual outbreaks, are now enjoying healthy, active sex lives.
Before I give you my potent recommendations on how to kill the herpes virus (and the scientific proof to back up the claim), here’s a quick low down on exactly what the herpes simplex virus is and how you get it… just in case you didn’t already know…
What is Herpes?
For those who don't know, Genital herpes is an STD caused by two types of viruses. The viruses are called herpes simplex type 1 and herpes simplex type 2. Genital herpes is very common in the United States, with about one out of every six people, aged 14 to 49 years having genital herpes.
Herpes viral infections cause painful blisters either on the mouth or genital region. Antibiotics are ineffective because they only treat bacteria, and are not effective against herpes because it's a virus. Garlic, on the other hand is very effective against viruses, and can kill them upon direct contact, including those responsible for viral meningitis & viral pneumonia.
Herpes simplex-1 (Cold Sores)
For this type of infection at the first sign of an outbreak, take garlic orally, with the best form being raw, minced. Herpes on the mouth, or cold sores, once erupted, can also be treated directly with garlic. The safest way to do that in order not to burn the surrounding skin, is to crush or scrape a clove of garlic and add a few drops of coconut or olive oil. Apply regularly, and the cold sore will shrink and disappear.
Herpes simplex-2 (Genital Herpes)
Dr. Tari Abdullah, a garlic researcher at the Panama City, Florida Akbar Clinic and Research Center, reported that serious outrbreaks of genital herpes could be controlled by taking garlic orally (Prevention Magazine, August, 1987). For a direct contact approach, a hot sitz bath of 30 minutes is also recommended (The Healing Power of Garlic, by Paul Bergner)…I go into this more below.
How is Genital Herpes Spread?
You can get herpes by having vaginal, anal, or oral sex with someone who has the disease. Fluids found in a herpes sore carry the virus, and contact with those fluids can cause an infection. You can also get herpes from an infected sex partner who does not have a visible sore or who may not know he or she is infected because the virus can be released through the skin and spread the infection to sex partner(s).
Below you will find the strongest natural herpes treatments and how to use them.
Treating Herpes With GARLIC
Garlic has a huge impact on most any type of bad bacterial, virus fungus or microbe, with doctors, researchers and scientists all confirming that garlic is one powerful and effective treatment for this virus. Evidence for the use of garlic in treating numerous ailments is staggering, and clinical research continues to grow. Garlic contains 33 sulfur compounds, all of the essential amino acids, all of the major minerals and several trace minerals, and Vitamins A, B, and C. But the chemical that makes garlic so effective against the herpes virus is allicin- ajoene. Here's some of the information I have been given.
In 1985, the medical journal Planta Medica reported favorable results with garlic for herpes simplex. Scientists in the study noted the anti- viral properties of garlic and its success in killing the herpes simplex virus in laboratory conditions.
In 1988, researchers studied garlic’s medicinal value, stating that the herb may play an “invaluable role” in preventing and treating the major causes of death. It was considered a broad spectrum antimicrobial and immune booster, according to the Journal of the National Medical Association.
Referencing the 1985 Planta Medica study, the Journal of the National Medical Association concurred that raw or refrigerated raw garlic was effective in killing herpes simplex virus- 1.
Planta Medica published another article studying garlic in 1992, and this time, the purpose was to discover which phytochemical in garlic was responsible for its antiviral activity. When fresh garlic juice was used, researchers at Brigham Young University Department of Microbiology isolated a variety of compounds, and tested them on herpes simplex virus- 1, herpes simplex virus- 2, and several other viruses.
Garlic Destroys The Virus on Contact
The researchers watched as garlic destroyed over 90% of a virus within 30 minutes of applying it in a laboratory dish. Ajoene was the strongest antiviral compound, followed by allicin. Dr. Abdullah, M.D. published an article in the Journal of the National Medical Associationin 2000 calling for the use of a combination of the immune- boosting herb echinacea and garlic during cold and flu season each year. In this paper, he mentioned the scientific conformation that garlic had a broad spectrum antiviral effect on all of the herpes simplex viruses.
Further in the paper, he suggests that people electing to use garlic for its antiviral benefits eat at least one teaspoon of fresh minced raw garlic mixed with pure raw honey at the first sign of an infection. Then every day as a preventative treatment. His directions include holding the garlic in the mouth for as long as possible before swallowing. (This can be kind of nasty if you don't enjoy the taste of garlic or the hot sensation) Garlic is quite hot when chewed raw, so be aware. However, pure, raw creamed honey really helps to cut this issue, and helps with curing the infection.
To be safe rather than sorry, taking 2 to 4 cloves of minced garlic each day mixed in with foods it compliments, like sauces, soups or stews, works very well. Add it to your spaghetti sauce, or put the minced cloves in some soup or broth. Get creative, and be sure to eat it each day for at least a week, and up to two weeks to make sure the virus is destroyed.
Treating Herpes with Honey
In a study, sixteen adult subjects with a history of recurrent labial and genital herpes attacks used honey to treat one attack, and a commonly prescribed antiviral drug,Acyclovir cream, during another. Interestingly enough, honey provided significantly better treatment results.
For labial herpes, the reported healing time was 43% better, and for genital herpes, 59% better than acyclovir. Participants found the pain and crusting was also significantly reduced with the honey, compared to the drug. Two cases of labial herpes and one case of genital herpes remitted completely with the honey treatment, whereas none remitted while using acyclovir. As for side effects, three of the subjects developed itching with acyclovir, whereas no side effects were observed even with repeated application of honey.
The KEY to this treatment is to use PURE RAW honey! Regular processed honey does not have the antiviral properties. Make sure you find one that is more liquefied for easier topical application when putting it directly on the open sore, and apply after each urination.
The researchers concluded that the topical honey application is safe and effective in the management of the signs and symptoms of recurrent lesions from labial and genital herpes.
Good-quality honey offers several topical wound-care benefits that can explain some of its success as a remedy for herpes sores:
- It draws fluid away from your wound
- The high sugar content suppresses microorganism growth
- Worker bees secrete an enzyme (glucose oxidase) into the nectar, which then releases low levels of hydrogen peroxide when the honey makes contact with your wound
Manuka honey, however, offers additional healing benefits not found in other honeys. In clinical trials, it has been found that Manuka honey, made with pollen gathered from the flowers of the Manuka bush, can effectively eradicate more than 250 clinical strains of bacteria, including resistant varieties such as:
- MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus)
- MSSA (methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus)
- VRE (vancomycin-resistant enterococci)
- Helicobacter Pylori (which can cause stomach ulcers)
Using honey as a natural, multi-purpose healing therapy is fabulous alternative.
Treating Herpes With Coconut Oil
In 2001, the medical journal Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine published a six page review of the medicinal and healing potential of coconut. Coconut water, coconut oil, and other parts of the coconut were found to have antimicrobial, antiviral, antioxidant, and numerous other health benefits.
Coconut oil is an excellent source of the medium chain triglycerides, lauric and capric acid that are proven to have antiviral effects. The body converts both lauric acid and capric acid into monoglycerides called monolaurin and monocaprin, which destroys the coating around lipid-enclosed viruses.
Coconut oil has even been shown to work on HIV, as it is also a lipid-enclosed viruses, so those test findings can shed some light on how well it works for the herpes virus. Coconut oil reduced the viral load in about half of HIV-positive test subjects within 3-6 months. (Viral load is the amount of virus in an involved body fluid.) The test was done using 3-4 tablespoons of unrefined coconut oil for one group, and monolaurin supplements for another. Both worked for about half of each group.
Research on lauric acid shows it forms the building blocks of ingredients that have potent antimicrobial properties; these ingredients are proven to destroy certain virus, bacteria and fungi. Depending on the type of coconut oil purchased, you can get up to 40 – 50% lauric acid and 8 – 10 % capric acid.
The Weston A. Price Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to restoring nutrient-dense foods to our diets, suggests infected individuals eat as much coconut oil as possible to maximize lauric acid levels in the body. Other health food advocates recommend starting with 2 – 3 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil per day and then slowly increasing the dosages until symptoms subside. Results appear mixed as some individuals found positive results within days with fewer outbreaks and milder symptoms, while others found no significant reduction in symptoms. These results may also be affected by the type of coconut oil used and dosage amounts tested.
One thing for sure is that this is a fabulous healing oil, and when used with all the other items listed here it is VERY effective soothing the effected area and helping the sores heal quickly. Blisters can take about 3 weeks to heal with conventional treatments, but they can be healed within days using a mixture of the coconut & honey topically.
Treating Herpes With Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps decrease the severity of herpes outbreaks due to its disinfectant, astringent, and anti-inflammatory properties. By dipping a cotton ball or clean wash cloth in apple cider vinegar and dabbing it on the affected areas several times a day (best to do after every urination) for two to three days. For best results, apply it as soon as you experience the initial tingling sensation.
You can also add one or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to one cup of water or green tea & some more honey and drink it at least twice daily during flare-ups.
Healing The Effected Area
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention state that a herpes simplex 2 outbreak may consist of only one small blister around the genitals or rectum, but it can also occur on both the outside and inside of the genitals.
Not only can the blisters erupt on skin, they can also occur inside the urethra of the penis in males, and inside the vagina and on the cervix of the uterus in females. These symptoms may cause pain during urination, tenderness in the genital area during an outbreak, flu-like symptoms, and swollen lymph glands. Fortunately, outbreaks become less frequent with the passage of time.
Treating The Outbreak On The Genitals
Both women who contacted me were suffering terribly with their outward symptoms, so I had both of them follow these 5 steps:
- Cleanse the area with Apple Cider Vinegar, and do this several times a day, especially after urination. This step both women said is surprisingly refreshing and soothing to the area, however it could sting for certain individuals.
- To kill the virus lurking in the open lesions or inside the blisters apply minced raw Garlic or Garlic Oil. I hate to tell you this, but this step is going to burn according to both women, however, they both stated that the burning lasted around 30 sec. to 1 minute, and once it was over, the area felt so much better. A hot Garlic & Apple Cider Vinegar sitz bath for 30 minutes is also recommended and could possibly be better tolerated.
- Finally, make a salve by mixing Pure Raw Honey & Coconut Oil, then rub it liberally onto the parts of the body where there are open sores. (You can use ALL of these items inside the vagina as well. Apple Cider Vinegar makes a soothing douche to calm the inside walls of the vagina, and with garlic, coconut oil and pure raw honey being antiviral, antibacterial anti-fungal & antimicrobial, they will kill off more of the virus and there is also less worry about more infection.)
- Apply cold compresses or bags of ice the the area & take ibuprofen if necessary.
- Repeat steps 1 & 3 after every urination.
From the inside and out, use garlic regularly at the first signs of an outbreak, and make it a regular part of a healthy diet. Garlic not only kills the herpes virus during an eruption, but also strengthens the immune system to fend off future outbreaks!
Beneficial Tips For Herpes Management:
- Avoid touching herpes sores, and avoid all sexual contact from the first onset of symptoms until they have completely cleared.
- Frequently wash your hands, (especially under the fingernails), throughout the day.
- Keep your lesions clean. This may seem obvious, but during an outbreak, keeping the infected area clean is of the utmost importance. Make a warm sitz bath using a plastic bowl, garlic oil, baking soda & apple cider vinegar to cleanse the area helps relieve itching and pain, or sponge bathe the area with apple cider vinegar 3 to 4 times a day will greatly aid the healing process. Do not take an actual bath, as you can leave the virus in the tub. After the bath, pat dry gently. If drying with a towel is too painful or uncomfortable, a hairdryer on a cool setting can be used for drying the area.
- Moisturize the area and further fight the infection by using the honey & coconut oil mixture.
- Wear cotton or other type of natural fiber underwear and loose-fitting clothing.
- Drink lots of water, coconut water and green tea.
- Consuming a diet high in L-lysine but low in arginine both can prevent breakouts. Foods that have a high L-lysine level and low arginine level include beans, beef, fish most fruits, vegetables and Greek yogurt.
- Reduce Stress as this is a major factor in causing any viral outbreak. Regular exercise and a healthy diet can also reduce stress dramatically.
- To ease swelling and pain in the genital area, use ice packs. Taking ibuprofen can also help take the edge off.
- Apply Apple Cider Vinegar, Pure Raw Honey & Coconut Oil directly on the sores. This soothes the area, fights the infection as all items are antivirals, calms the itching and helps the lesions heal quickly.
- Do not consume citrus fruits and juices while the virus is active.
Clean Up Your Diet
Remove, all “junk” food, fast food, processed, packaged food, alcohol (except maybe red wine explained below), and tobacco consumption must be stopped immediately. Eat a diet composed of 30-35% lean protein, 30-35% healthy fat, and 30-35% high fiber complex carbohydrates, including a lot of fresh fruit, vegetables, & whole grains is the foundation of a healthy lifestyle. Eating healthy is a huge benefit, and can help prevent the occurrence of more outbreaks.
Cleanse or Detoxify Your Body
Nutrients are absorbed in the small and large intestines. They are then delivered to all parts of the body through the circulatory system. If the bowels are clogged from a diet full of white flour, sugar, and refined oils, the body has a harder time absorbing nutrients. Help cleanse your gut by consuming plenty of probiotics from items like kefir, Greek yogurt, miso paste & fermented foods.
The body also has to fight accumulated environmental toxins such as artificial chemicals in processed foods, household cleaning products, chlorine and other chemicals in drinking water, and fumes while pumping gasoline into cars.
Some Other Top Detox Foods Are:
- Flaxseeds and Flaxseed Oil
- Kale & Spinach
Other Foods & Items for Herpes Infections
Here are a few other items that have also been found effective in treating herpes infections:
- Vitamin C Rich Foods
- Aloe Vera
- Licorice Root
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Resveratrol – This plant compound is a very potent antioxidant found in grape seed & wine, and has been linked to an array of health benefits, including cancer prevention, protection against cardiovascular disease and longevity. Foods containing resveratrol are generally healthy and consuming them can benefit health in many ways.
Both women who followed these instructions experienced relief within the first few hours of treating their symptoms, and reported being completely free of outward symptoms, with the exception of some itching in the effected area, that could be from the healing process. Coconut oil is super beneficial in calming this problem. Both women have also reported to me that they have been outbreak free since using this method (treatment was used in early 2014). Keep in mind both have cleaned up their eating habits substantially as well.