For years now, ads have pushed us replace our old standard light bulbs with energy-saving ones. While these bulbs can save you a bit of money, you might be a bit startled to learn that, when broken, they can release 20 times the maximum mercury concentration.
This information was found in a study by the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute in Germany.
The study found that exposure to these bulbs can be linked to the following conditions:
In light of this information, I highly suggest giving a return to old incandescent bulbs some thought. Here are a few more reasons to do so.
1. Mercury, found in energy-saving bulbs, is incredibly dangerous
Much information has come to light regarding just how dangerous the substance mercury is. It can be especially harmful to children and pregnant women, affecting areas such as the brain, nervous system, liver and kidneys.
Mercury poisoning, which is a risk in cases where energy saving bulbs break, can cause ailments as severe as cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
2. Energy saving bulbs can encourage cancer
Peter Braun conducted a study for Germany’s Alab Labratory and found that, in addition to mercury, energy saving bulbs contain the following harmful compounds, all of which are carcinogens.
Braun stated that “for such carcinogenic substances it is important they are kept as far away as possible from the human environment.” (source)
3. Energy saving bulbs emit UV rays
It’s well accepted that UV radiation is bad for your skin, leading to skin cancer.
Energy lamps have been observed to emit UV-B and UV-C radiation, which can directly attack the immune system and damage skin tissues. (source)
One last thing to consider is that these bulbs are so dangerous we’re advised not to put them into our regular garbage – they contain hazardous waste. Is that really something you want around your family?