The use of carrot seed oil for skin cannot be understated. Though not as common as other types of oil, carrot seed oil offers a variety of benefits for skin care. Here is more on the moisturizing, skin lightening among other benefits of carrot seed oil for skin.
The skin is a very delicate body organ to humans and is affected by numerous factors such as the food we consume and the environment. It is important that the skin is treated and taken care off or health, younger and revitalized skin tone.
For a long time now, carrot seed oil has been commonly used and widely known as an essential oil with natural healing properties. It is a remedy for numerous skin ailments such as psoriasis acne, skin wounds treating age spots, respiratory systems, dermatitis, and rashes.
Carrot Oil vs Carrot Seed Oil
What is the difference between carrot oil and carrot seed oil?
Carrot Oil– Also known as infused carrot oil. It is produced by soaking small pieces of chopped carrots in vegetable oil. The contents are allowed to soak for several weeks. The carrots are then strained out. What is left is orange colored oil. It is often labeled as macerated carrot oil or infused carrot oil. This oil can be used on its own. There is no need to dilute it before use on the skin.
Cold Pressed Carrot Oil– It produced in a similar as for other vegetable oils. By pressing the oil from the seeds of the carrot plant. No need to dilute before use.
Carrot Seed Oil– Also known as carrot essential oil, Queen Anne’s Lace or Wild Carrot Oil. It is extracted from dried seeds of wild carrots by steam distillation. It is commonly used to make skin care blends
All the three oil as defined above have benefits for the skin. In this article, we are going to focus on the use of carrot seed oil for skin.
What is carrot seed oil?
Carrot seed oil is commonly referred to as Queen Anne Lace or Wild Carrot. It is an essential oil that has a golden yellow color with a sweet and pungent scent with woody, earthy and fruity undertones. Carrot seed oil has significantly lower amounts of carotene which gives it the golden/ yellow color.
Over the years carrot seed essential oil has become a crucial and widely used cosmetic merchandise as it is used as an anti-ageing solution and making lotions, soaps and hair shampoos mostly because of the rich sources of Vitamin A and Beta-carotene.
Traditionally, carrot seed oil was used as a remedy for stomach acidity and flatulence, but through extensive research, doctors have been able to discover other useful benefits as can help in treating cancer cells.
Essential components contained in carrot seed oil.
- Vitamin A.
Benefits of Carrot Seed Oil for Skin.
The skin health benefits of carrot seed oil are attributed to its properties as an antiseptic, detoxifying, disinfectant and anti-oxidation.
Carrot seed oil for anti-ageing.
Carrot seed oil has amazing skin renewal properties. It is for this reason that it is used in a number of skin aging products and formulations. Use carrot seed essential oil to get rid of age spots and wrinkles fast.
It is a rich source of anti-oxidation properties. The anti-oxidation property called carotol contained in carrot seed oil protects the skin from radical damage helping in boosting the extensive damage caused by over exposure to direct the sun. It forms a protective skin layer to help in skin protection.
Note: While carrot seed oil has sun protection properties, the exact SPF rating is not known. It is has been used as an ingredient in highly rated sunscreen formulations. DO NOT replace your sunscreen with carrot seed oil.
How to Get rid of Age Spots with Carrot Oil
- Add a few drops of carrot seed oil a carrier oil such as rosehip oil.
- I recommend using an aromatic oil such as lavender to mask the strong woodsy smell of carrot seed oil.
- Use this as a rejuvenating skin oil.
Carrot seed oil for treating oily and dry skin
Carrots seed oil is usually helpful in stimulating the production of sebaceous and sweat glands to rejuvenate and moisturize oil and dry skin.
How to use carrot seed oil to treat dry and oil skin
Carrot seed oil stimulates the sebaceous glands and creates a balance in the production of oils. This is an excellent property for both oily and dry skin types.
The nutritional components vitamin A and B contained in carrot seed oil aids the skin with a moisturizing effect enhancing a balance for oil and dry skin. This moisturizing effect is essentially important as it avoids clogging the open skin pores. This removes toxins and dead skin around the skin.
- Use a towel soaked in warm water to remove dirt along the face, chest, and skin completely.
- Add one tablespoon of carrier oil in a bowl.
- For oily skin add grapeseed oil
- For dry skin add apricot kernel or avocado oil as the carrier oil.
- Add four drops of carrot seed oil into the bowl containing the carrier oil.
- Add two rose drops of essential oil to the mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients and using a dry towel or cotton apply the mixture to the body.
- Allow the oil to dry then rinse the skin with warm water.
Carrot seed oil for skin lightening
It helps in treating skin hyperpigmentation. It contains essential components that help in repairing damaged melanin-making cells. Over exposure to ultraviolet light destroys the hormones progesterone and estrogen and applying carrot seed oil helps in making new cell to improve skin complexion.
How to use carrot seed oil for skin lightening?
- On a bottle pour equal proportion of carrot seed oil and lavender oil.
- Stir the mixture gently to ensure the solution is smooth.
- Rinse the face with warm or cold water and let it dry.
- Apply the mixture on the skin let it naturally dry for around 20 -30 minutes.
- Rinse the face with warm water.
Carrot seed oil for skin toning and moisturizing
Carrot seed oil is highly recommended as a skin toner. It enhances the production of collagen. Thus helping to smoothen the skin texture and skin tone by removing toxins properties and excess water within the skin for a rejuvenated skin tendency.
- Before applying the carrot seed oil ensure that the skin is clean and dry to remove all dead skin cell.
- Pour eight drops of carrot seed oil onto a bowl.
- Add four drops of essential oil such a sandalwood
- Add five drops of vitamin E oil.
- Pour a few ounce of jojoba oil and stir the mixture.
- Gently apply the mixture on the skin and wait till it is dry.
Carrot seed oil for removing wrinkles and stretch marks
Carrot seed oil is a rich source of anti-oxidants. The oil properties contained in carrot seed oil repair most of the damaged tissues in the body through oxidation process to halt further damage to the skin tissues and renewal cell production.
How to use carrot seed oil to remove stretch marks and wrinkles
- Soak a dry towel in warm water and rinse the skin to remove dead skin cells.
- Add five drops of carrot seed oil into a bowl.
- Using a dry towel or cotton apply the oil gently on the affected areas of the skin.
- Wait for a few minutes till it is completely dry then rinse off.
For effective results, it is advisable that you use this formula at night before going to sleep when resting so that the oil aids in reducing thin lines with the skin.
Carrot seed oil for acne treatment
The oil is a rich source of antibacterial properties that aid in removing the bacteria causing acne on the skin. When applied on the skin it open pores removing the excessive production of sebum
How to use carrot seed oil for acne treatment?
- Wash the face with warm or cold water to remove dead cells.
- Add three drops of carrot oil in a bowl and add jojoba oil or avocado oil.
- Use a cotton pad or dry towel to apply the solution on the affected areas.
- Rub gently and steadily avoid rubbing with force to cause skin irritation.
- Let it dry for around 20- 30 minutes.
- Rinse off the applied areas with warm water or cold water.
Carrot seed oil for treating skin infections and wounds
As a component of treating skin wounds carrot oil seeds contains an antiseptic property and vitamin E that is essentially important to combat the effects of new infections.
Others Essential Uses Of Carrot Seed Oil For Skin
- Contains a natural tanning enhancer for skin glow.
- Cures psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema.
- Treating rashes, sunburns, and itching.
- Increases the firmness and elasticity of the skin.
How to Use Carrot Seed Oil
- Add it to your skin care formulations
- As an oil blend for massage
- Add it to your bath
Precautions when using carrot seed oil for skin
- It is advisable that pregnant women should avoid the use of carrot seed oil and all other essential oil products.
- Ensure that you should not apply carrot seed oil directly onto the skin without the use of cloth or cotton and when using excessive amounts of the oil mix it with a carrier oil such as olive or coconut oil.
- Always rinse off the applied carrot seed oil applied on the skin as excessive use may cause skin rashes and irritation.
- Ensure that you do not directly ingest excessive amounts of carrot seed oil internally as it can cause vomiting or convulsion.
- First-time users it is advisable that you apply a drop of the carrot seed oil onto the skin to allergic reaction check.
- If it causes irritation, then it is advisable to stop the use of carrot seed and seek medical advice.
Side Effects of Using Seed Oil for Skin
All health experts agree that using the prescribed amounts of carrot seed oil is generally safe as it is non-toxic, non-sensitizing and non-irritating and has no side effect. However, if applied directly to a sensitive skin type it can cause minor irritation.