As we age we can see the slow appearance of crepey skin and sag, and you may have thought you have to accept it. But, you don't!
I tried a few natural crepey skin remedies that I think really worked for me. These tips helped significantly reduce crepey skin on my face – but the most impressive results were on my neck and chest.
P.S. Also, take note of the marionette lines (lines that run down from the corners of the mouth) they are not as long or as deep like in the before picture. This is REAL progress!!
More Crepey Skin Remedy Pictures
Ok, enough of the neck, how about the worst area – the crow's feet!
NOTE: I know these two pictures look disconnected – but the before picture was taken years ago with a different camera.
But still, you can see the difference and amount of lines around the eyes. The skin no longer looks as crepey as before!
Also, notice that the few lines that are left are going UPWARD and not down like in the before picture?
I think it's because the facial workouts are lifting my facial muscles up and my cheeks are higher as a result.
WHY DOES OUR SKIN GET CREPEY?
There are many reasons but the main culprit is thinning skin due to collagen loss and muscle atrophy. Women notice it more than men because of fluctuating hormones.
This is especially true a few years before menopause. And, it seems to get worse after menopause. But, that doesn't mean we can't do something to help improve the look and feel of our skin.
Natural Crepey Skin Remedies – My Faves!
Massage And Exercise!
Manipulate the skin – whether on your face, neck, or arms massaging the skin and building up the underlying muscle worked for me. It helps reduce that thin, crepey, paper look.
While we all can't afford to get a full body massage, here are things you can do at home to take advantage of the benefits of a massage.
- I do a facial exercise – massage routine about 3 times a week which helps to not only reduce crepey sagging skin but also lifts and firms the contours of the face and improve the texture of the skin.
- If the crepey skin is on your arms and legs – the same advice follows: Increase muscle size and massage or dry brush the skin on your body. Sorry, there is NO EASY SOLUTION. Resistance training is important for your face and body – especially if you're over 40.
- Consider dry skin brushing to improve skin tone on the rest of your body. Dry skin brushing can increase blood flow which feeds and nourishes the skin, increases cell turnover and renewal, and can help improve the appearance of cellulite too. You can purchase a dry skin brush at your local health food store or online.
Topical Crepey Skin Remedies
While the most common reason for that crinkly, crepe–like appearance is due to age-related thinning and wrinkling of the dermis, sometimes extremely dry skin can take on that “waffley ” look too.
So hydrating is, of course, an important choice when looking for natural remedies.
Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize!
From head-to-toe. Whether that crepey look is on your elbows or under your eyes – deep hydration can make a difference.
A great natural moisturizer you can make at home is a combination of honey and olive oil.
Try this (no exact measurements needed):
- mix the oil and honey until you have a consistency that's not too runny
- massage lightly onto the affected areas
- try to let it sit as long as possible before hopping into the shower to rinse off
- try not to use soap on those treated areas – just let the warm water gently rinse it away
- this will leave a thin coating which can help make your skin feel soft and hydrated
Don't worry, it won't be sticky. The warm water will rinse away the honey and all that's left is a little bit of olive oil 🙂
Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate!
Manually exfoliating the dermis can help stimulate collagen production and improve the appearance of dry dull skin – anywhere on the face and body.
I also use pure Vitamin C Powder that's freshly mixed right before each application.
A simple homemade remedy is the sugar and olive oil scrub. Sugar naturally contains alpha hydroxy acid (AHA's) and the olive oil is a great hydrator. PERFECT COMBO!
Try this (no exact measurements needed):
- mix equal parts of oil and sugar until the consistency is easy to spread, but not dripping
- massage the mixture all over the affected areas and let it sit for a few minutes
- the sugar crystals will help dissolve dead dull cells and oil hydrates – immediately improving the appearance of the skin
- After a few minutes of massaging, make sure to rinse off well in the shower
What Else To Do about Crepey Skin?
In my opinion and experience, the best natural home remedy for crepey skin is a good facial exercise routine. It's safe and inexpensive.
However, there are other options that can help reduce crepey skin on the face and neck.
Some take more time than others and some are more effective (and more costly) than others. These remedies include:
- Laser treatments
- dermal fillers
- TCA peels
- copper peptide creams
Personally, I found the most effective & inexpensive crepey skin remedies include daily use of peptides, retinol combined with weekly face/neck exercises.