There are many health benefits to drinking plenty of water and keeping your body well hydrated. Water is vital to every single process in the human body. Not only does it keep things moving inside the body, it also allows the body to flush out toxins, naturally cleansing itself.
Everyone will agree that staying hydrated is important, but many find it difficult to drink the recommended amount of 3 liters of water each day for men and 2.2 liters for women. For some, it’s because people are too busy to check their daily water intake, for others, they simply find water super boring, and there are plenty more people who live on coffee, energy drinks, or sodas all day long. Unfortunately, the people who consume sodas or coffee rather than water, can lead to major health problems later on down the road, such as obesity, hypertension, and kidney damage. Read more about dehydration and it leads to.
Consuming sufficient amounts of water is important on so many levels including:
- Gives energy to the muscles
- Maintains normal bowel function
- Controls calorie consumption
- Maintains balance of body fluids
- Keeps skin hydrated and smooth
- Allows the kidneys to flush out toxins
- Helps the body maintain proper temperature
These are just a few of the things your body can do when it properly hydrated. In fact, the symptoms of dehydration are pretty severe:
- Very dry skin
- Fatigue or feelings of weakness
- Increased body temperature
- Muscle cramps
- Vision problems
- Kidney failure
- Liver failure
- Loss of consciousness. Find out more reasons for dehydration.
To keep things working smoothly, it’s pretty obvious that we need to drink plenty of water.
Citrus essential oils can provide many health benefits including:
- Mood enhancing
Before we begin, let’s talk about safety. Always use therapeutic grade essential oils that meet AFNOR standards. Never consume essential oils on their own, always dilute them in at least 4 ounces, or preferably 8 ounces of water. You should also not consume more than 3 drops in any 8 hour period. Also, essential oils should never be given to children under 6 years of age.
Keep reading and find out the top essential oils that you can add to your water both for taste, and for their health benefits.
- Tangerine: Offers calming, is a great tonic for the digestive system, and is high in antioxidants.
- Orange – Helps in maintaining normal cell regeneration, improves digestion, is hepatic, and is high in antioxidants.
- Grapefruit – Uplifting, is a natural diuretic, super detoxifying, energizing, and helps the body process fat more effectively
- Lemon – Stimulates white blood cells, super alkaline, revitalizing, antibacterial, purifying, great tonic for the circulatory system.
- Peppermint – Calms the digestive system. Refreshing, cools the body, energizing.
Although some essential oils cost a bit more than others, you will find that using them to flavor your water is very inexpensive since you will only be using one or two drops maximum per glass of water. This makes the price very affordable with grapefruit costing (on average) about 6 cents per glass, lemon 4 cents, and peppermint about 8 cents per glass.
So add a drop or two of your favorite flavor and bottoms up!