Two major tuna brands are recalling their products after issues with sterilization processes.
Bumble Bee Foods and Tri-Union Seafoods LLC, which makes Chicken of the Sea, is recalling thousands of cans of tuna for risk of harmful contaminants.
Bumble Bee Foods announced the recall earlier Wednesday of 31,579 cases of its canned Chunk Light Tuna. The cases included in the recall were produced in February and distributed nationally.
The recall affects three specific UPC codes (8660000020, 8660000021, 8660000736) of canned Chunk Light tuna.
The company said in a news release that process deviations occurred in a co-pack facility not owned or operated by Bumble Bee, which could have resulted in contamination by spoilage organisms or pathogens and could furthermore lead to life-threatening illnesses if consumed.
No illnesses have been reported to date.
The products subject to this recall are marked with a can code that starts with a “T” (example: TOA2BSCAFB) and have the following “best by” dates:
- 5oz Bumble Bee Chunk Light Tuna in Water – 02/10/2019, 02/16/2019, 02/17/2019, 02/18/2019, 02/22/2019, 02/23/2019, 02/25/2019
- 5oz Bumble Bee Chunk Light Tuna in Oil – 02/23/2019
- 4 Pack of 5oz Bumble Bee Chunk Light Tuna in Water – 02/9/2019, 02/10/2019, 02/22/2019, 02/29/2019
Tri-Union Seafoods followed Bumble Bee a few hours later with its recall of 2,745 cases (107,280 cans) of Chicken of the Sea brand 5-ounce canned chunk light tuna in oil and tuna in water.
The company said in a news release that the recall is because the product may have been undercooked due to an equipment malfunction, which was uncovered during a routine inspection. These deviations were part of the commercial sterilization process and could result in contamination, the company said, noting that there have been no reported illnesses to date.
The products in the recall are:
- Chicken of the Sea, 5-ounce canned Chunk Light Tuna in Oil. The UPC code is 0 480000019505 and the Best By date is Feb. 10, 2019. These were sold at retailers between Feb. 10 and March 16.
- Chicken of the Sea, 5-ounce canned Chunk Light Tuna in Water. The UPC code is 0 4800000245 7, and the Best By dates in 2019 are Feb. 18, Feb. 22, Feb. 23, Feb. 25, March 2 and March 3. The single cans were sold between Feb. 18 and March 16.
Consumers are advised to throw away the recalled product. Residents looking for more information on reimbursement or whom have questions about the recall may contact Bumble Bee at 888-820-1947 or call the Chicken of the Sea recall information hotline at 1-866-600-2681.