1 Dead and 9 Hospitalized from Botulism after Eating Gas Station Nacho Cheese

Be careful when purchasing gas-station food, better yet, skip it!

The recent botulism outbreak has sadly claimed its first victim, a 37-year-old father of two. The outbreak, linked to nacho cheese sold at a Northern California gas station, has hospitalized at least nine people (and paralyzed one of the victims) and killed Martin Galindo-Larious Jr.

According to the CDC, botulism poisoning can lead to paralysis, breathing difficulty, and even death. Patients it doesn’t kill are treated with an anti-toxin and spend weeks or months on ventilators.

“Galindo-Larious was taken off life support May 18 and died hours later. His family, which includes two sons who are younger than 5, said he had stopped at Valley Oak Food and Fuel in Walnut Grove last month while commuting to a job site in Sacramento.